Authorship/Censorship ©2015



Authorship/Censorship no.01 ©2015




 Due to the often explicit nature of my work finding the right venue to show is always a key concern. It's always a crap shoot booking models, securing screenings, dealing with curators- especially in non traditional spaces. It's typically something I avoid like the plague.  Recently I was talked into signing onto a show without being clear about the space which turned out to be a restaurant/bar. Look, Restos ( cafe shows)  are great and frequently sell more pieces for an emerging artist than a gallery show...however my work isn't really the right fit, but I said okay sure why not...then the inevitable happened the manager of the space vetoed pieces from my selected works due to partial or full frontal male nudity.  So I declined to do the show. No harm no foul. Just not my gig.

however it inspired me to censor my own work on my own terms as a reaction to the constant conservative pressure to make decorative art. again No harm no foul. Just not my gig.

But here's the first few stabs at processing the constant restraint.







Authorship/Censorship no.02 ©2015
Authorship/Censorship no.03 ©2015

Authorship/Censorship no.04 ©2015


Authorship/Censorship no.05 ©2015

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.